South Jordan Memorial park
10630 South 1055 West
10996 South Redwood Road
Cemetery Office Hours:
M-TH 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
F – 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Closed from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. each day
South Jordan Memorial Park cemetery is a peaceful sanctuary, full of history. The staff is dedicated to maintaining the memorial park with respect for the lives and families of the deceased. Our staff works with funeral directors and the public to ensure the burial portion of the death process is handled professionally and with compassion for each individual’s needs. The work in the Cemetery includes: record keeping, landscaping, construction, interments, disinterment, grounds keeping, beautification and improvements are done under the supervision of the Sexton.
The rules and regulations governing the Cemetery provide for an order well groomed, quiet sanctuary. To achieve and maintain that status requires a joint effort between the Cemetery staff and Cemetery patrons.
The land for the rural South Jordan cemetery was donated by James Oliver, an early settler. Two month old John A. Bills, who died on September 9, 1863, was the first person placed to rest in the cemetery. The South Jordan Ward maintained the cemetery until ownership was turned over to the City on October 1, 1945. In 1960, Royal Beckstead sold two and a half acres of land to the City to extend the cemetery to the north.
A Veteran’s Memorial, dedicated to the men and women interred in the cemetery, who have served our country in the military is located at the front of the cemetery. Names are added to the monument annually around Memorial Day. A special monument memorializing the victims of the 1938 school bus/train accident is also located near the entrance of the Cemetery. The monument was installed at Heritage Park on the 75th anniversary of the accident, and was later moved to the cemetery to maintain the reverence and dignity of the memorial.