20A-9-203(2)(a) Declarations of Candidacy
- Municipal General Elections
A person seeking to become a candidate for a municipal office shall: (i) file a declaration of candidacy, in person with the city recorder, during office hours and not later than the close of normal office hours, between June 1 and June 7
of any odd-numbered year
20A-9-203(3)(a) ) Before the filing officer may accept any declaration of candidacy, the filing officer shall: (i) read to the prospective candidate the constitutional and statutory qualification requirements for the office that the candidate is seeking; and (ii) require the candidate to state whether the candidate meets those requirements; (b) If the prospective candidate does not meet the qualification requirements for the office, the filing officer may not accept the declaration of candidacy.
Legal qualifications to be a candidate for South Jordan City Mayor or City Council are:
- Be a United States citizen at time of filing.
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of the next municipal election.
- Must be a registered voter of the municipality.
- Must be a resident of the municipality or a resident of a recently annexed area for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the election.
- If elected from a council district, the person must be a resident of that council district.
- (6) In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, any mentally incompetent person, any person convicted of a felony, or any person convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Section 20A-2-101.5.
Citizens desiring to run for office must file a "Declaration of Candidacy" in person with the South Jordan City Recorder
at South Jordan City Hall, 1600 W. Towne Center Drive, South Jordan, Utah. The forms will be available in the office of the City Recorder beginning Monday, June 3, 2013.
The filing period will run: Monday, June 3rd through Friday, June 7th 2013
during regular City Hall hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Candidates must have been a resident of South Jordan City for at least 12 months (365 days) immediately prior to the date of the election (11-05-2013). Candidates running for a City Council District Office must be a resident of that district. Candidates must be a current registered voter of South Jordan City
2013 PRIMARY ELECTION:............Tuesday, August 13, 2013
2013 GENERAL ELECTION:..........Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Voting District Map