Home > Frequently Asked Questions            

Building Department Related Questions
Business Licensing Related Questions
Code Enforcement Related Questions
Court Related Questions
Development Services Related Questions
Fitness and Aquatic Center related questions
General City Recorder and City Council Issues
General Questions
Human Resources Related Questions
Police Dept. Related Questions
Public Works Issues
Recreation Related questions
Secondary Water Related Questions

Search all of our FAQ's

General Questions

Q: Where is City Hall located? What is the address? What is the phone number of City Hall?

A: City Hall is located at 1600 W. Towne Center Drive (10610 S.) Click Here to View a map. You can call City Hall at (801) 254-3742

Q: What is the phone number or address for City departments or buildings?

A: All City phone numbers and addresses can be found here.

Q: How do I pay my water bill online?

A: You can pay your water bill online by visiting the Virtual City Hall portion of our website listed under the 'Online services' link on our home page. Click here to go directly there.
If you do not know your username, it can be found on your utility bill. If you do not know your password, please contact Utility Billing at 801-254-3742

Q: How or where can I view employment/job listings and apply for a job?

A: City employment opportunities are listed here.

Q: What is the population of South Jordan?

A: The population of South Jordan as of May 1, 2016 is 66,602. For more demographic information click here.

Q: Where can I find a map of South Jordan?

A: South Jordan maps can be downloaded here.

Q: What county is South Jordan in?

A: Salt Lake County, Utah. You can visit their website here.

Q: Where can I find information about the equestrian park located in South Jordan?

A: The Salt Lake County Equestrian Park is a operated by Salt Lake County. You can visit their website at www.slcoequestrian.org.

Q: What is the law, ordinance or code for various topics?

A: The best source for city laws, ordinances, codes, etc. is the South Jordan Municipal Code which can be searched here.

Q: Where can I find information about the South Jordan Library?

A: The South Jordan Library is a Salt Lake County Library. Information can be found here.

Q: Where can I find information about the Gale Center of History and Culture?

Q: Where can I find information about the Marv Jensen Recreation Center?

A: The Marv Jensen Rec. Center is a Salt Lake County facility. Please visit their website, http://www.recreation.slco.org/marvjenson/ for more information.

Q: Do I need a business license?

A: Business License requirements and information can be found at this link, or by calling the billing department at 801-254-3742

Q: Who provides sewer service in South Jordan? / How can I pay my sewer bill? / Why can I not pay my sewer bill online?

A: Sewer service for South Jordan City is provided by the South Valley Sewer District. For questions concerning sewer connections please call them at 571-1166.

Q: I just moved here, how do I setup my utilities?

A: Call (801) 254-3742 to have your culinary water service and garbage/recycling collection set up.
For questions concerning sewer connections please call South Valley Sewer District at 571-1166.

More information for new residents is available at this link.

Q: What are your hours of operation? / What time do you open and close? / What days are you open?

A: City Hall and most City buildings are open from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday except for Federal and State holidays.
Hours for recreation buildings may vary, please check the Parks and Recreation web site for more info.

Q: How many dogs/cats/pets am I able to own at my residence?

A: Information regarding household pets can be found in the Zoning Ordinance for each particular zone. You can find this information in title 17 of the Municpal code. To view a zoning map click here. In general for residential zones you are allowed household pets not exceeding two (2) per species over the age of four (4) months per dwelling.

Occording to Chapter 17.08.010 of the municipal code a houshold pet is defined as: Animals ordinarily permitted in the house and/or kept for company or pleasure such as dogs, cats, birds or rabbits, but not chickens, ducks, geese, sheep, goats, pigs or other farm animals, or any animals which are likely to inflict damage, harm or discomfort or endanger the health, safety or welfare of any person or property. Other small animals weighing eight (8) ounces or less each which are permitted by law, not considered farm animals, housed within the dwelling and not likely to inflict damage, harm or discomfort or endanger the health, safety or welfare of any person or property are not regulated under this title. Offspring of household pets within the dwelling four (4) months of age or younger shall not be regulated under this title.


General City Recorder and City Council Issues

Q: Who is our Mayor and how do I get in touch with him?

Q: I want to read the City Council Minutes - Where do I obtain access?

A: Recent Council Minutes can be read here. A complete archive of Council minutes can be searched here.

Q: I want to be on a Citizen Advisory Committee - Where do I get the application?

A: An application for Advisory Boards/Committees can be found here.

Q: Am I registered to Vote? - How do I get registered? - Where do I vote?

A: The Salt Lake County Clerk's Office handles voter registration for South Jordan residents. You can visit their website here. More information about South Jordan elections can be found here.

Q: I want to speak at City Council - What do I need to do?

A: Anyone wanting to speak at City Council must complete a YELLOW Speaker card prior to the meeting starting. The speaker card is given to Mayor Money. When the meeting gets to CITIZEN REQUESTS on the Agenda, Mayor Money will announce the name allowing the speaker no more than 3 minutes to speak.

Public Works Issues

Q: Who do I need to call if a streetlight is out or has a problem?

A: Call Public Works at (801) 253-5230 or use our fix-it forum to report the issue.

Q: Who do I need to contact for a Right of Way Permit?

A: Contact Public Works at (801) 253-5230

Q: Who do I contact regarding water shares for new developments?

A: Contact Public Works at (801) 253-5230

Q: Who do I contact to have water turned on in my name?

A: Please contact Utility Billing located on the first floor at City Hall or call 801-254-3742.

Q: Who do I contact to have garbage and recycling service started?

A: Please contact Utility Billing located on the first floor of City Hall or call 801-254-3742.

Q: When will secondary water service be turned on or off?

A: The latest information about secondary water service can be found here. If the latest start or ending dates are not posted on the secondary water web page, please call Public Works at 801-253-5230

Q: Where can I find information about irrigation backflow prevention or requirements for my sprinkler system?

A: Backflow prevention information can be found here.

Q: How can I purchase surplus City fleet vehicles or equipment?

A: The current disposal method of Fleet Assets is through an Online Auction via PublicSurplus.com

Recreation related questions

Q: How do you register online for recreation programs/activities?

A: You can register online for recreation activies here.

Q: What are my registration options for recreation programs/classes? (i.e. when, how and where)

A: Most classes and Programs run month to month however you may sign up for classes at any time. Most programs are listed quarterly: winter, spring, summer, fall. The new quarter's classes will be ready for registration no later than 2 weeks prior to the start of the new quarter.
Registration forms and payment may be accepted at the South Jordan Fitness and Aquatic Center 10866 South Redwood Road or on-line here.
Phone registrations are ONLY accepted for classes requiring NO fee. Payments are accepted in Cash, Credit Card or Check (ALL checks must be made payable to South Jordan City). Some instructors require additional uniform fees, those fees may be paid to the Instructor, but Instructors ARE NOT allowed to accept registration fees.

Q: Why do I have to sign a waiver every month for recreation progams?

A: Waiver forms are formatted for each instructor, class, time, and date. We need to have, on file, a signed waiver covering each person for the duration of their participation.

Q: What are the refund policies for recreation programs?

A: Each individual requesting a refund must file out a Refund Request Form and submit it to the Front Desk of the Fitness Center. The form is then reviewed and will be accepted or declined on an individual basis, and you will be notified.

Q: Who is responsible for...aerobics, sports, recreation, aquatics, etc.?

A: Contact the Fitness and Aquatic Center in person at: 10866 South Redwood Road, South Jordan, UT. Or call, 801-253-5236 or 801-254-3742

Q: What is the number for the sports and recreation hotline? How can I find out if my game has been cancelled or rained out?

A: You can call the sports and recreation hotline at 801-253-PLAY (7529) to find out the latest information about outdoor sports and recreation activities such as volleyball, softball, baseball, urban fishing etc.

Q: How do I reserve a park facility or pavillion?

A: South Jordan offers a variety of pavilions and sports facilities that may be reserved for specific events. To reserve a pavilion or sport facility please click here.

Recreation/Fitness Center related questions

Q: How much does it cost for a day pass at the Fitness and Aquatic Center?

A: Adults: $5.00, Senior's 60+: $3.00, Students 4-17: $3.00, and children 3 and under-free. (Includes swimming pool and open plunge)

Q: How old does a child have to be to swim alone in the Fitness and Aquatic Center pool?

A: Children 8 years old and younger must be accompanied by a responsible individual 14 years of age or older.

Q: What are the regular pool hours for the Fitness and Aquatic Center?

Q: What are the Fitness and Aquatic Center facility hours?

Q: What is included in a membership pass for the Fitness and Aquatic Center?

A: Land and water group fitness classes (space may be limited)
Access to the leisure pool, basketball courts, turf gym (Some areas may be closed for programs and events)
For 14 years and older: access to the weight rooms, cardio areas and circuit areas

Q: Where do I find water/land fitness & activity class schedules?

A: Fliers are available in the Fitness and Aquatic Center lobby.
On line, click here

Q: May I register for water/land fitness & activity classes online?

A: Some classes are available for online registration. Click here for online registration. For those that are not, please register in person at the Fitness and Aquatic Center. Payment is due at time of registration.

Q: May I reserve a basketball court at the Fitness and Aquatic Center?

A: The indoor turf, basketball courts, dance room, aerobic room, splash room and sundeck are all available for rental during normal business hours. Available space and time varies. Please contact us at 801-253-5236 for more information and availability.
M-F 8:00am-5:00pm only.

Development services related questions

Q: What is the zoning on a certain property? / How do I find the zoning of a property? / What does a certain zone classification such as R-3 or R-M mean?

A: A zoning map for South Jordan can be found here. If the name of the subdivision is known, There is a subdivision zoning list under the Planning & Development link on our website. Click here to go directly there. For definitions and purposes of the specific zone classifications, refer to Title 17 of the Municipal Code. Zoning information can also be obtained by calling the City Planning & Zoning Department at 254-3742.

Q: What's the direct phone number for Building Inspections?

A: (801) 253-5203 Ext. 1276

Q: Can I schedule an inspection online?

A: Yes. In the Building Department section. Click here

Q: Who do I call for building inspections?

A: Janell: (801) 253-5203 Extension 1276.

Q: Who's in charge of Planning & Zoning?

A: Greg Schindler is the Senior Planner. He can be reached at (801) 254-3742

Q: Do I need a permit for a driveway?

A: No

Q: What's the difference in the Planning & Zoning department and the Building department?

A: Planning & Zoning deals with the land, and the Building department handles all aspects of the building being built.

Q: Is there a permit required for constructing a fence?

A: Yes, a Planning & Zoning fence permit is always required for any fence construction. There is no charge for this permit. The permits can be obtained from the Planning & Zoning Department at City Hall on the second floor and are normally reviewed immediately when submitted. A Building Permit for a fence is required when circumstances warrant it.

Code compliance related questions

Q: What are the laws regarding posting of signs?

A: No sign shall be erected, raised, installed, moved, placed, replaced, reconstructed, remodeled, extended, enlarged or altered unless a sign permit is first obtained from the Community Development Department. Garage sale signs are exempt conditional to the following provisions:
  • Maximum of 4 sq. ft. in size.
  • Located ONLY on your property. Directional signs are not allowed. Signs attached to poles, placed on vehicles or in the park strip are also prohibited.
  • May be held no more than 4 calendar days per year.

Q: What are the laws regarding landscaping, weed control and park strips?

A: It is the responsibility of the homeowner adjacent to a park strip to maintain the park strip, including watering, weeding, and mowing. Homeowners adjacent to sidewalks must keep the sidewalk clear of all obstructions. NO DUMPING of landscaping material (i.e., Soil, bark, etc.) is permitted on streets. The front and street side yards of single family lots shall be landscaped and properly maintained with lawn or other acceptable plants material unless other wise approved by the City Council with conditional use permit. No person owning property within South Jordan shall permit weeds on his/her property to exceed a height of six (6) inches (State, County, City Ordinance). Weeds and other noxious plants must be removed after cutting. Further the exteriors of buildings in residential zones shall be properly maintained by the owners.

Q: How do I report a code violation?

A: Code violations can be reported using the Online Citizen Help Desk or by calling Code Compliance at 801-254-3742.

Building Department Related Questions

Q: What does the building department do?

A: Examination of plans, calculations and specifications for compliance and enforcement with the building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical codes.

Inspection of all aspects of construction that become part of a structure.

Issues building permits for projects as required.

Q: Who is in charge of the building department?

A: Ty Montalvo is the Chief Building Official. He can be reached at 801-254-3742.

Q: Do I need a permit for a new water heater or furnace?

A: Yes.

Q: Do I need a permit to finish my basement?

A: Yes.

Q: Do I need a permit for a fence?

A: Yes.

Q: Do I need a permit for a swing set?

A: No.

Q: Do I need a permit for paint, wallpaper, carpeting, cabinets, or similar finish work?

A: No.

Q: Do I need a permit to build a shed?

A: A building permit is not required for a shed provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet. However setbacks per zoning requirements will be enforced, please contact planning and zoning (801-254-3742) prior to construction.

Q: How do I schedule a building inspection?

A: Inspections may be scheduled over the phone at 801-253-6305, or on the City web site here.

Q: When do I need a building permit?

A: For a list of most reasons you would or would not need a building permit, click here

Court Related Questions

Q: What are the qualifications for traffic school?

A: Minor traffic only--You must have a clean driving record and no plea in abeyances (or traffic schools) anywhere in the last 3 years. If the violation is for speeding, it cannot be more than 20 mph over the speed limit.

Q: How much does traffic school cost?

A: Our traffic class is an on-line class for which you pay $50. This is in addition to any fine you owe to the court. Traffic school keeps the violation off your record.

Q: If I am found guilty at trial, can I then go to traffic school to keep it off my record?

A: No. Traffic school is a pre-trial option only.

Q: Who sets the court fines?

A: Fines (minimums and maximums) are set by the state legislature.

Q: What are my payment options for paying court fines / tickets?

A: You can pay in person by cash, check or credit card. You can mail your payment by check or money order. You can also pay online here. If you cannot pay in full within your 14 days, you need to see the Judge to set up a payment plan. More information about how to contact the court can be found here.

Q: How much is my traffic ticket fine?

A: A list of court fines can be found here.

Q: How do I register for or take traffic school?

A: For more information about traffic school, please contact the court at (801) 254-6381.

Police Dept. Related Questions

Q: Where can I find information about or search for registered sex offenders in my neighborhood?

A: Click here to visit The Official State of Utah Sex Offender Registry

Q: Where can I see pictures or find information about animals, dogs, cats, or pets in City impound or that are available for adoption?

A: Animals in impound or available for adoption can be seen on the Animal Control web page.

Human Resources Related Questions

Q: Will I be required to get a drug test if I am hired?

A: Yes, you will be required to get a drug test if you are hired. As stated in the Employee Handbook Section 4-03 (5) Pre-Employment Testing:
  1. All prospective employees and designated prospective volunteers shall be tested for drug usage (including spice).
  2. All job applicants shall be informed of the policy at the pre-employmentinterviews. A copy of this policy shall be available for their review.
  3. All applicants shall be required, prior to being hired or volunteering for the City, to sign an acknowledgment form agreeing to abide by the terms of this policy.
  4. The City will exclude from employment any job applicant who refuses to abide by the terms of this policy.
  5. Any applicant with a confirmed positive drug test may not reapply for employment with the City for one (1) year from the date of such result.

Q: Will I have to pay for my drug screen or background?

A: No.
     The Employee Handbook, Section 4-03 (10) Testing Protocols states that:
c. The City shall pay all costs of testing and transportation associated with a test required by the City.

Q: Do I have to be certified in order to apply for a lifeguard position?

A: You can apply for a lifeguard position but you cannot be hired until you have the necessary certifications. The minimum requirements for a lifeguard position are:

1. Education & Experience:

Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Community First Aid
CPR for the Professional Rescuer
*Ellis and Associates Deep Water Lifeguard or NASCO Deep Water Lifeguard may be substituted but certification must update to American Red Cross program within 30 days of hire.

2. Special Qualifications:
Must be at least 16

3. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:

Knowledge of swimming techniques.

Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with patrons, co-workers and supervisors in a professional manner. Ability to communicate effectively with all age groups to handle complaints, ability to enforce pool regulation in a firm manner while maintaining good public relations.

Ability to make reasonable choices in difficult situations, to react calmly to stressful situations and help resolve conflicts that may arise.

Must be able to report to work promptly and continue work until the end of the required shift.

Q: What is Veteran's Preference?

A: Veterans preference is provided to separated military members under the following conditions:

71-10-2. Veteran's preference.

  1. Each government entity shall grant a veteran's preference upon initial hiring to each preference eligible veteran or preference eligible spouse according to the procedures and requirements of this chapter.
  2. The personnel officer of any government entity shall add to the score of a preference eligible who receives a passing score on an examination, or any rating or ranking mechanism used in selecting an individual for any career service position with the government entity:

    1. 5% of the total possible score, if the preference eligible is a veteran;

    2. 10% of the total possible score, if the preference eligible is a veteran with a disability or a purple heart recipient; or

    3. in the case of a preference eligible spouse, widow, or widower, the same percentage the qualifying veteran is, or would have been, entitled to.

  3. A preference eligible who applies for a position that does not require an examination, or where examination results are other than a numeric score, shall be given preference in interviewing and hiring for the position.

Q: How do I claim Veteran's Preference?

A: On the first page of the employment application you will notice a box asking if you are claiming Veteran's Employment Rights. If you are claiming Veteran's Rights you must include the DD-214 form to receive the preference.

Q: Will I be notified if I don't get the job?

A: You will be notified by email that the position has been filled.

Q: Can I apply for more that one opening at a time?

A: You can apply for as many open positions as you feel you are qualified for. However, you need to fill out an application for each position.

Q: Can I just turn in a resume and not fill out an application?

A: The employment application is our legal document.
     It must be filled out completely to be considered for an interview.
     You may attached a resume to the application to provide additional information regarding your employment history.

Q: Do I have to list references on my application?

A: The employment application is our legal document.
Part of submitting a complete application is including names and telephone numbers of three business/work references that are not related to you.
References must be included on the application in order to complete the recruitment process.

Q: What if my new legal name is not on my social security card or driver's license?

A: Your current name will be entered into our system. Then when you receive your new social security card bring it in and we can update our records with your new name

Q: How long is my application kept on file?

A: If you are hired your application will become a part of your permanent employee file.
If you are not hired your application will be retained for two (2) years (or three (3) years if a conditional job offer was declined or withdrawn), then it will be destroyed.

Q: How long is the probationary period for new hires?

A: As stated in the Employee Handbook Section 2-02 (2) Probation:
  1. Probationary Period – Except for employees specifically designated as “at-will”, all recently hired employees shall fulfill a probationary period. During probation, such employees may be terminated at any time, with or without cause or prior notice, for any reason or no reason at all.
    1. Full-time/Regular and Part-time/Regular/Benefited employees, excluding certified police and fire protection employees, are subject to a six month probationary period.
    2. Full-time/Regular certified police and fire protection employees are subject to a one year probationary period.

Q: Do I need to fill out a new application if I was employed last season by South Jordan City?

A: Yes, you will need to submit an updated application for each season of employment.

Q: If I am hired, when will my health benefits and retirement start?

A: If you are hired for a full-time position, your health benefits and life insurance will begin on the first day of the following month after your hire date. All benefit options will be explained in detail at orientation.

Q: Can I work for South Jordan City if I have a relative who also works there?

A: The City of South Jordan complies with Utah "Prohibiting Employment of Relatives" statutes. The City prohibits any person holding any position to appoint, vote for the appointment of, directly supervise, or be directly supervised by their father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, first cousin, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, or daughter-in-law. Volunteers providing services to the City are excluded from this provision.

Anti-Nepotism - The City also will not hire or re-hire any relative of a current full-time employee. Relative, for the purposes of this restriction means, in addition to the relationships listed above, grand-parent, grand-child, current step-relationships of the preceding degrees of consanguinity, or any of their spouses.

Business Licensing Related Questions

Q: How quickly can I get my business license?

A: Once submitted, the business license application will be distributed to all required departments for approval. Typically the business license review process and approval can take up to or more than four (4) weeks. Home occupation business license applications can take longer, as the property owners are allowed a full 14 days to respond to the notice mailed to them.

Q: Do all Home Occupation Business License Applications have to submit the mailing labels, even if there is no traffic to the home?

A: Yes. City Code states:
17.98.050: The city business licensing office shall mail a written notice in accordance with provisions of this title, with the exception that a public hearing will not initially be required, informing the neighboring property owners of the proposed home occupation. The applicant is required to provide a second mailing only if a hearing is necessary. The community development department and other city departments will review the home occupation business license application and may approve the application if all requirements are met and if no objections have been filed within fourteen (14) days of the mailing. (Ord. 2007-02, 1-16-2007)

Q: What if my Home Occupation Business License application is denied?

A: If a Home Occupation Business License application is denied, the denial can be appealed. City Code states:
17.98.060: The applicant or an affected neighbor may appeal staff's decision for a public hearing before the planning commission within fourteen (14) days of the decision rendered by staff. The decision of the planning commission may be appealed to the city council within fourteen (14) days of the planning commission decision. Costs of notification for the planning commission and/or city council meetings shall be borne by the appellant. The planning commission or city council may place conditions on the approval of the home occupation business license application pertaining to the conduct of the business, subject to chapter 17.84 of this title. (Ord. 2007-02, 1-16-2007)

Q: If I have applied for a business license can I conduct business while I wait for the license to be approved?

A: No. City Code states:
5.04.050: It is unlawful for any person to transact or carry on any business, trade, profession or calling, within the city for which a license is required, without first procuring a license required by this title. (Prior code § 6.04.020)

Q: How long is my business license good for?

A: Most business licenses are valid for one year from the date of application, after which time they can be renewed.

Q: How can I renew my business license?

A: Business licenses can be renewed in several different ways:
  • Online at http://www.sjc.utah.gov/business.asp
  • By mail. Mail renewal with payment to South Jordan Business Licensing, 1600 W. Towne Center Drive, South Jordan, UT 84095
  • In person at City Hall located at 1600 W. Towne Center Drive.

Q: Can I renew my business license by phone?

A: Unfortunately, no. The signed renewal form (or online agreement) must accompany the renewal payment.

Q: I didn't receive a renewal notice for my business license. Do I still have to pay the late fee?

A: Yes. Regardless of receipt of the renewal notice the business is responsible to maintain a valid City business license.

Q: What if I operate my business without a business license?

A: Any business owner operating without a valid City business license shall be deemed guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

Q: I am moving my business from one location in South Jordan to another location in South Jordan. Do I need to obtain a new business license for the new address?

A: Yes. When a business license is issued, it is issued to the address provided on the application. Moving to a new location requires a new license. Therefore, completion of the Business License Application is required for the new location in order to obtain a valid business license.

Secondary Water Related Questions

Q: Why don't I have access to secondary water at my house?

A: Only about one third of the residents currently have access to The City's secondary water system. The City has evaluated the feasibility of a citywide secondary system and found that it would be more costly to residents. For more information, please refer to the "Secondary Water Position Paper" dated January 17, 2006.

Q: What is the quality of secondary water?

A: Secondary water is non-potable water and comes from canals that distribute Utah Lake water. This water has higher concentrations of suspended solids and TDS which can be harmful to some plants and flowers especially when watered during the heat of the day.

Q: Are there any health issues related to secondary water?

A: Secondary water is not drinkable water. Most of the secondary water comes from Utah Lake and is not treated or filtered. Children should be discouraged from playing in the water.

Q: Why am I being billed year round for secondary water instead of just during usage?

A: Residents are billed for the operation and maintenance of the secondary water delivery system (distribution system) and not for the water (Municipal Code 13.08.090).

Q: What do my secondary water fees go to?

A: Residents are charged an annual fee to be paid in monthly installments. These fees are used to recover capital cost, expenses, and administrative cost incurred by the City associated with the delivery of secondary water. (Municipal Code 13.08.090). The fees are not used to pay for or purchase water; therefore regardless of when secondary water is available during the season, residents are still responsible for their monthly fee.

Q: Should I filter the secondary water?

A: Yes. You are strongly encouraged to filter the water on your system to at least 500 microns to protect your sprinkler heads.

Q: Are there any watering restrictions when using secondary water?

A: Currently there are no watering restrictions due to the fact that canals can supply a sufficient amount of water for everyone to water at the same time. However, the most effective time to water is between 6:00 pm and 10:00 am, and the City encourages outdoor watering to be done between these hours.

Q: What is the penalty for unauthorized connections to the secondary water system?

A: South Jordan City has adopted regulations for the use of the secondary water system. It is unlawful for any person directly or indirectly to connect to or alter the City's secondary water system or any part thereof without prior authorization obtained from the City and notice to the City of such connection, alteration, disconnection, or otherwise. (Municipal code 13.08.130)
Cross-connections with the culinary water system will not be tolerated and are not allowed by State law. Tampering, modifying or altering of the secondary water system without the prior consent of the City, and all persons being served by the local system is unlawful. For the safety of our residents, please take this matter seriously.

Q: What if I do not wish to connect to or use secondary water at this time?

A: You may choose not to connect to the secondary water system, but if your home has access to secondary water you will still be billed monthly fees for secondary water access. These fees are not used for the procurement of water but for the operation and maintenance of the distribution system. If you have access to the system and would like to be connected because you are being billed, please call Public Works between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Q: Why is my secondary water shut off?

A: Please ensure that the stop and waste valve is fully open, your filter on your system is not clogged or blocked, and your sprinkler system is functioning properly. If you are still experiencing a water outage please contact the Public Works Department at 253-5230.

Q: What canal do I get my secondary water from?

A: Reference the City Secondary Water Zone Maps here.


1600 W. Towne Center Dr. (10610 S.), South Jordan, Utah 84095 | 801-254-3742
Copyright © 2016 City of South Jordan Utah. All rights reserved.
Search Frequently Asked Questions A to Z Index Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.