Car Washes are a great way to raise money for your organization, but doing it yourself can be hard work and it will be shut down if you do not follow strict stormwater guidelines. Instead of raising money, you could be paying a fine. It is illegal within Salt Lake County and South Jordan City to hold Fundraising Carwashes in parking lots without following these guidelines
Alternatively, Why not let a commercial car wash host the event, do the work and you keep the proceeds for your good cause?
- Use only nontoxic, phosphate free or biodegradable soap
- Find a large grassy area to drive the cars onto to drain water
- Wring sponges and rags into a bucket not onto the ground
- All run-off water from the water source and cars must be either drained into a landscaped area or captured before entering the stormdrain and disposed of in the sanitary sewer system. Please note that if you are washing many cars a landscaped area may not be able to handle the large amount of wastewater created and will require the next step.
- To dispose of the run-off water in the sanitary sewer system you will need to build or buy a car wash kit to capture and dispose of the water.
Connect to one of our car wash vendor links below for more information or call the contact person listed for each car wash. Please note that the car wash vendors listed on our site determine the terms and conditions necessary for hosting a fundraising/charity car wash and may vary from car wash business.
Car Wash Vendors
Car Wash Kits that Protect Stormwater for Purchase
Bowhead Environmental & Safety
1011 SW Klickitat Way, Suite 104
Seattle, WA 98134