- Media & Communications
- SoJo Photo Contest
SoJo Photo Contest
What do you love about South Jordan? Is it the green spaces and outdoor amenities, the lifestyle, or the events? South Jordan residents have consistently said that they love living here, what we want to answer is why – in picture form! South Jordan is sponsoring a photo contest to get the word out and we are inviting you to capture the beauty of everything our city has to offer.
This is the time to show off your photo-taking skills and win cash! Show off your creativity by taking a photo of anything involving South Jordan, just make sure it’s family-friendly, within our city, and reflective of the current season (we'll do more of these contests!). Whether it's life, landscape, or landmarks, get your cameras out and show us what you love most.
*Please note that no City employees, volunteers, or their immediate family members may enter this contest.
You can submit your photo any time through December 31, 2022. (Timelines are subject to change based on the number of submissions received)
All entries should contain a brief description of the picture, a signed contest entry agreement, any waivers from those featured in the photo, and a .jpg photo submission (must be 8 mb (3264 px X 2448 px) in size). *Please, no more than 10 entries per person.
Register online through our web form.
There will be 3 different categories you can enter. All photographs submitted for consideration in the South Jordan Photo Contest 2022 must depict something that generally fits within one of the following categories:
- South Jordan Life (Everyday life in South Jordan)
- South Jordan Landscape (Nature, scenery, etc.)
- South Jordan Landmarks (Buildings, Architecture, etc.)
The Judges will analyze each photograph based on the following:
- 40% based on how well the picture relates to the category.
- 30% based upon creativity.
- 30% based upon originality.
Based on the above criteria the judges will choose a winning photograph for each of the categories.
Public voting will take place beginning January 3, 2023, and ending at midnight of January 9, 2023. South Jordan City will post all the photos on the South Jordan Facebook page. The public is allowed to vote on their favorite by “liking” the picture. The photograph that receives the most votes will be awarded the Public’s Choice award. (Timelines are subject to change based on the number of submissions received)
Winners will be announced no later than January 18, 2023. There will be one Grand Prize and a First Place prize winner in each category.
The photograph receiving the most votes on Facebook will be awarded the Public’s Choice award of $100.
The Grand Prize winner will receive $200. Each First Place prize winner will receive $100.
There will also be a special Mayor's Choice Award winner.
All prizes awarded must be claimed by the successful applicants no later than February 2, 2023. Any prize not claimed by this date will be forfeited.
All decisions, whether rendered by the judges or made by residents and Facebook fans, shall be final.
Photo Release/Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions shall also apply:
- By submitting a photograph to the South Jordan Photo Contest 2022, Applicant understands and agrees that the City may use any photograph submitted, whether timely or not, for the City’s own purposes, including (but not limited to) marketing campaigns, social media sites, websites, and official documents and publications, and may make any edits to said photographs or combine said photographs with other images and media, which the City, in its sole discretion, chooses to make. However, the City will not edit any photograph until after the judging and voting are complete.
- Applicant represents and warrants that any photograph submitted to the South Jordan Photo Contest by Applicant is the original products of the Applicant, and does not violate any intellectual property rights, or any other rights of any kind enjoyed by any individual or entity, nor do any of Applicant’s submissions feature artwork or intellectual property created or owned by another individual or entity.
- Applicant has received permission from everyone in a submitted photograph and confirms that they have waived image rights, intellectual property rights, or any other rights of a person or object depicted in a submitted photograph. By submitting this agreement the Applicant understands that they are liable if they submit a photo without possessing the appropriate rights. The Applicant grants the City a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free license to display, distribute, reproduce or create derivative works which include all or a portion of the photograph(s) submitted.
- Applicant agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the City against all claims, damages, lawsuits, losses, liabilities, liens, costs, citations, penalties, fines, and expenses, including (but not limited to) attorneys’ fees, arising out of or resulting from the submission of Applicant’s submitted photographs.