The first phase of Bingham Creek Regional Park, a generational park in our City, has been much anticipated by our residents. Construction of the park is in full swing with warming weather, and the first phase of the park is expected to be open for use after Labor Day.
Phase one includes mass-grading of the entire site, essential infrastructure (i.e. culinary water, secondary irrigation, sewer and internal roads), parking lots, a maintenance facility, restrooms, multi-purpose sport fields, a destination playground, other playgrounds, and connecting trails.
Here is where the park construction stands as of now:
- Landscaping and seeding have been installed. It is extremely important to note that until the construction fencing comes down, the park should not be used. The site is not safe for residents until then. It can also negatively affect the turf and landscaping.
- Sidewalks, curb and gutter, and paving for new roadways is almost complete.
- Playground construction is underway.
- The pavilion and restrooms have been installed.
- The bike course is nearly complete.
Phase one funding for the park, approximately $15 million, comes from two primary sources: 1) Salt Lake County Zoo, Arts, and Parks (ZAP) program in the amount of $12 million and 2) South Jordan City contributions in the amount of $3 million.
Similar to Sugar House Park, Bingham Creek Regional Park will be managed by a park authority, a board consisting of South Jordan and community representatives as well as government stakeholders.
Future phases are expected to include a destination splash pad, tennis courts, pickleball courts, additional multi-purpose sport fields (including a championship field), a bike skills course, volleyball courts, basketball courts, open lawn space, a disc golf course, and additional trails.
Bingham Creek Regional Park will be the largest park in Salt Lake County when it is complete and will be a unique generational gathering place, a recreational center, and trail hub in our community. Over the next couple of years, watch this area transform into a beautiful regional park where the community can come and spend quality leisure and recreation time together.