The South Jordan Fire Department wants to remind you to be safe when you are cooking this holiday season. Here are some quick tips and things to avoid so you don't look like a turkey this holiday season.
- Stay in the kitchen. Unattended food is one of the leading causes of cooking fires.
- Clear the stovetop area. Keep anything that can catch fire like your potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels, or curtains away from stovetop burners.
- Use turkey fryers outdoors. Using your fryer outdoors and a safe distance away from any buildings or combustible materials is the safest way to get your turkey just the way you like it.
- Keep young children away. Keeping children three and younger away from where food is being prepared or carried will ensure their safety.
- Check your fire alarms. Make sure they are working before this holiday season.
Visit nfpa.org for more holiday cooking safety tips.