A-Z Faq

General Questions

What is the population of South Jordan?

The population of South Jordan as of January 2021 is 79,200. For more demographic information click here.

Where can I find information about the equestrian park located in South Jordan?

The Salt Lake County Equestrian Park is a operated by Salt Lake County. You can visit their website at www.slcoequestrian.org.

What is the law, ordinance or code for various topics?

The best source for city laws, ordinances, codes, etc. is the South Jordan Municipal Code which can be found here.

Do I need a business license?

Business License requirements and information can be found on our Business License page, or call 801-446-HELP, Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Fridays 8:00 a.m. – Noon.

Who provides sewer service in South Jordan? / How can I pay my sewer bill?

Sewer service for South Jordan City is provided by the South Valley Sewer District. For questions concerning sewer connections please call them at 801-571-1166.

I just moved here, how do I setup my utilities?

You can fill out our online Residential Water Application or fill one out in person at City Hall to have your culinary water service and garbage/recycling collection set up.

For questions concerning sewer connections please call South Valley Sewer District at 801-571-1166

What are your hours of operation?

City Hall and most City buildings are open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday, closed on federal and state holidays.

2021 HOLIDAY CLOSURES – all buildings & services* will be closed on these days:

Pioneer Day – Friday, July 23, 2021

Labor Day – Monday, September 6, 2021

Veteran’s Day – Thursday, November 11, 2021

Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thanksgiving Holiday – Friday, November 25, 2021

Christmas Holiday – Thursday, December 23, 2021

Christmas Holiday – Friday, December 24, 2021

* For information on garbage collection service delays, visit holiday garbage delays

How many dogs/cats/pets can I own at my residence?

For more information regarding household pets see the Zoning Ordinance for a specific zone. You can find this information in title 17 of the Municpal code. To view a zoning map click here.

South Jordan Residents are allowed two cats, two dogs in one residence.

City Recorder and City Council Questions

Who is our Mayor and how do I get in touch with the Mayor?

For information on our current City Mayor and council click here.

Who is my City Council Member and how do I get in touch with them?

Information on South Jordan City Council Members and their districts can be found here.

I want to read the City Council Minutes - Where do I obtain access?

Recent Council Minutes can be read here.  If you need to access Council Minutes beyond what we have online, you may submit a GRAMA request here.

Am I registered to Vote? - How do I get registered? - Where do I vote?

The Salt Lake County Clerk’s Office handles voter registration for South Jordan residents. You can visit their website here. More information about South Jordan elections can be found here.

I want to speak at City Council - What do I need to do?

Residents and guests are welcome to speak during the public comment period. Visit our City Council page for more information. For other questions, reach out to our City Recorder Anna Crookston acrookston@sjc.utah.gov.

Public Works Questions

Who do I need to call if a streetlight is out or has a problem?

Please call Public Works at 801-446-HELP or use our fix it form to report the issue.

When will secondary water service be turned on or off?

The latest information about secondary water service can be found here. Typically secondary water service is turned on in late April or early May and turned off the middle of October, however these dates are subject to change. If you have secondary water service, the best way to ensure that you get the quickest and latest updates is to sign up for the secondary water text list.

Where can I find information about irrigation backflow prevention or requirements for my sprinkler system?

Backflow prevention information can be found here.

Secondary Water Questions

Why don't I have access to secondary water at my house?

Approximately only one-third of the residents currently have access to the City’s secondary water system. The City has evaluated the feasibility of a citywide secondary system and found that it would be too costly to residents. For more information, please refer to the “Secondary Water Position Paper” dated January 17, 2006.

What is the quality of secondary water?

Secondary water is non-potable water and comes from canals that distribute Utah Lake water. This water is not filtered or treated and often contains debris, and has higher concentrations of suspended solids and total dissolved solids which can be harmful to some plants and flowers especially when watered during the heat of the day. The city recommends users install a good filter before the water goes into the pump. Filters should be cleaned and checked regularly.

Are there any health issues related to secondary water?

Secondary water is not drinkable water. Most of the secondary water comes from Utah Lake and is not treated or filtered. Children should be discouraged from playing in the water.

Why am I billed year-round for secondary water instead of just during usage?

Residents are charged an annual fee to be paid in monthly installments. These fees are used to recover capital cost, expenses, and administrative cost incurred by the City associated with the delivery of secondary water. (Municipal Code 13.08.090). The fees are not used to pay for or purchase water; therefore regardless of when secondary water is available during the season, residents are still responsible for their monthly fee.

Should I filter the secondary water?

Yes. Customers are strongly encouraged to filter the water on your system to at least 500 microns to protect your sprinkler heads and to clean and check the filter regularly.

What is the penalty for unauthorized connections to the secondary water system?

South Jordan City adopted regulations for the use of the secondary water system. It is unlawful for any person directly or indirectly to connect to or alter the City’s secondary water system or any part thereof without prior authorization obtained from the City and notice to the City of such connection, alteration, disconnection, or otherwise. (Municipal Code 13.08.130)

Why don’t I have secondary water?

Please ensure that the stop and waste valve is fully open, your filter on your system is not clogged or blocked, and your sprinkler system is functioning properly. If you are still experiencing a water outage please contact the Water Division.

What canal do I get my secondary water from?

Recreation Questions

How do you register online for recreation programs/activities?

You can register online for recreation activities here.

What are the refund policies for recreation programs?

Each individual requesting a refund can submit their request to Janel Payne at jpayne@sjc.utah.gov.

How can I find out if my game has been cancelled or rained out?

You can call the Rainout Hotline at 801-253-PLAY (7529) to find out the latest information about outdoor sports and recreation activities such as volleyball, softball, baseball, urban fishing etc.

How do I reserve a park facility or pavilion?

South Jordan offers a variety of pavilions that may be reserved for specific events. To reserve a pavilion please click here.

Development Service Questions

What is the zoning on a certain property? / How do I find the zoning of a property?

A zoning map for South Jordan can be found here. For definitions and purposes of the specific zone classifications, refer to Title 17 of the Municipal Code. For Zoning Definitions, call 801-446-HELP.

What's the direct phone number for Building Inspections?


Is there a permit required for constructing a fence?

On February 16, 2021, the City Council approved an ordinance that eliminates the fence permit requirement for agricultural and residential fencing.  The regulations regarding height, materials, etc. are still in the Municipal Code and must be followed by homeowners installing, repairing and replacing fences. {see Section 17.30.020(H) for Agricultural properties and Section 17.40.020(H) for Residential properties}

For all others, permits can be obtained from the Planning & Zoning Department at City Hall on the second floor and are usually reviewed upon submission.

Code Compliance Questions

What are the ordinances regarding posting of signs?

For information regarding posting of signs, click here or call 801-446-HELP.

How do I report a code violation?

Code violations can be reported using the Service Request Form or by calling Code Compliance at 801-446-HELP.

Building Department Questions

Do I need a permit for a new water heater or furnace?

Yes, call 801-446-HELP for more information.

Do I need a permit to finish my basement?

Yes, call 801-446-HELP for more information.

Do I need a permit to build a shed?

A building permit is required for a shed that is larger than 200 square feet. Please contact 801-446-HELP prior to construction.

Court Questions

What are my payment options for paying court fines/tickets?

You can pay in person by cash, check or credit card. You can mail your payment by check or money order. You can also pay online here. If you are unable to pay in full within your 14 days, you need to see the Judge to set up a payment plan. Call 801-446-HELP for more information.

How much is my traffic ticket fine?

A list of court fines can be found here.

Police Department Questions

Where can I find information about or search for registered sex offenders in my neighborhood?

Click here to visit The Official State of Utah Sex Offender Registry.

Where can I see pictures or find information about animals, dogs, cats, or pets in City available for adoption?

Animals in impound or available for adoption can be viewed here.

Fingerprinting Questions

What are your fingerprinting hours?

Fingerprinting hours are conducted on Mondays and Wednesdays between 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. by appointment only. Call 801-446-HELP for availability and pricing.*

*Residents only, these hours might be adjusted due to the pandemic.

Business Licensing Questions

How quickly can I get my business license?

Once submitted, the business license application will be distributed to all required departments for approval. Typically the business license review process and approval can take up to or more than four (4) weeks. Home occupation business license applications can take longer, as the property owners are allowed a full 14 days to respond to the notice mailed to them.

What if my Home Occupation Business License application is denied?

If a Home Occupation Business License application is denied, the denial can be appealed.

City Code states:
If city staff finds that certain conditions cannot be met, that the proposed home occupation is not appropriate or is inconsistent with the definition and purpose of this chapter, the application shall be denied. The city business licensing office shall provide written notice of city staff’s decision to the applicant and to all individuals who provided written responses to the original notice.

The applicant or an affected neighbor may appeal staff’s decision for a public hearing before the planning commission within fourteen (14) days of the decision rendered by staff. The decision of the planning commission may be appealed to the city council within fourteen (14) days of the planning commission decision. Costs of notification for the planning commission and/or city council meetings shall be borne by the appellant. The planning commission or city council may place conditions on the approval of the home occupation business license application pertaining to the conduct of the business, subject to chapter 17.84 of this title. (Ord. 2014-16, 11-18-2014).

If I have applied for a business license can I conduct business while I wait for the license to be approved?

City Code states:
Except as otherwise provided by this title, it is unlawful for any person to engage in business within the city without first obtaining a license from the city for doing so, and it is unlawful to continue to engage in a business without maintaining a valid license with the city. It is unlawful for a person to engage in business using a name other than the name in which the city issued or renewed the license. It is also unlawful to continue engaging in business after the city has suspended or revoked a license for such business. (Ord. 2015-13, 10-6-2015).

How long is my business license good for?

Most business licenses are valid for one year from the date of application, after which time they can be renewed.

How can I renew my business license?

Business licenses can be renewed in several different ways:

  • Online
  • By mail. Mail renewal with payment to South Jordan Business Licensing, 1600 W. Towne Center Drive, South Jordan, UT 84095.
  • By phone at (801)-446-4357 with a credit card or debit card.

In person at City Hall located at 1600 W. Towne Center Drive

Can I renew my business license by phone?

Yes, you can now renew your business license by phone! The signed renewal form (or online agreement) must accompany the renewal payment.

I didn't receive a renewal notice for my business license. Do I still have to pay the late fee?

Yes. Regardless of receipt of the renewal notice the business is responsible to maintain a valid City business license.

What if I operate my business without a business license?

Any business owner operating without a valid City business license shall be deemed guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

I am moving my business from one location in South Jordan to another location in South Jordan. Do I need to obtain a new business license for the new address?

Yes. When a business license is issued, it is issued to the address provided on the application. Moving to a new location requires a new license. Therefore, completion of the Business License Application is required for the new location in order to obtain a valid business license.