CALL FOR UTAH ARTISTS: Request for Proposals
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Thursday, August 6, 2020
COMMISSION BUDGET: $3,000 – for each crosswalk mural.
The City of South Jordan and the South Jordan Arts Council are requesting proposals for the commissioning of two professional murals on the center crosswalks located at 1665 Towne Center Drive. As part of the South Jordan Art Council’s Vibrancy Project, the purpose of this project is to create a sense of community and add vibrancy to the Towne Center plaza. The plaza includes seating areas, picnic tables, restaurants, and local businesses.
The organizations mentioned above are pleased to provide an opportunity for any Utah artist or Utah artist lead team to respond to this RFP with a mural proposal. **Proposals can be for one or both crosswalks**
Crosswalk A: Length 18ft & Width 20ft Crosswalk B: Length 18ft & Width 17ft
The South Jordan Arts Council seeks a site-specific mural that:
- Is visually engaging for passersby and those who use and visit the plaza.
- Is simplistic yet interesting – The designs should be simple enough to easily maintain them by a non-artist if desired.
PROJECT BUDGET & ELIGIBILITY
The total budget for this project is $6,000 ($3,000 per crosswalks, artists can create a proposal for one or both crosswalks). The budget is inclusive of artist’s fees and related expenses for design, include all costs associated with the creation and completion of the mural/artwork, including artists’ travel, prep work, materials, supplies, surface preparation, installation, and an anti-graffiti protective coating. Any fees incurred for design/artwork related engineering or assistance from any contractors shall be the responsibility of the artist.
- Artwork shall not contain any standards, traffic signals, or sign icons.
- Artwork shall not contain logos, text, advertising, or promote a specific business, political party, or religion.
- No directional markings.
- Artwork must be contained within the white “stop arm” lines that are already painted on the crosswalk.
- Colors will be limited to five (5) per crosswalk.
- Unless otherwise requested and pre-approved, paint for the artwork must be one of the following brands/types:
- Watco Anti-Slip Traffic Paint
- Transpo Color-Safe Durable Pavement Marking Material (paint) – H&C
- COLORTOP Water-Based Solid Color Concrete Stain available at Sherwin Williams
- Colors: Colors utilized must be reproducible and the color name and number shall be submitted with this application.
Application Deadline – Thursday, August 6, 2020
Notification of Artist Selection – Monday, August 17, 2020
Contract Preparation – Wednesday, August 19, 2020
Day 1 of Artwork Installation– Saturday, September 5, 2020**
Day 2 of Artwork Installation– Saturday, September 12, 2020**
**Installation will coincide with the South Jordan Farmers Market. Artists will only have two days (Saturday, September 5 and Saturday, September 12) to complete the murals.**
Dates are subject to change, except for the application deadline of Thursday, August 6, 2020.
SELECTION CRITERIA & PROCESS
The City of South Jordan and The South Jordan Arts Council will review all of the properly submitted applications and will recommend the artist/teams for the commission.
In selecting the artist/team for this project, the following criteria will be considered:
- Final artwork that is one-of-a-kind, site-specific, and meets the project goals;
- Artistic excellence, innovation, and originality as evidence by visual documentation and supporting materials;
- The artist’s final work meets all operational, maintenance, American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA), and public safety requirements;
- Ability to meet deadlines and budget and to perform work in a timely, professional manner;
- The artist’s professional experience is adequate to meet the demands of the project including the ability to work with stakeholders, project managers, and community members.
The artist or artist lead team selected for the project will sign an agreement with the City of South Jordan.
Submissions that arrive on or before 11:59 pm on Thursday, August 6, 2020 and meet all of the application requirements will be reviewed. To be considered for this project, applicants must submit all of the required materials via this website. There is no application fee to apply or to use the online application system. No other method of submission will be accepted. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. The applicant’s name must appear on all submitted materials.
All materials not specifically requested as part of this application or exceeding the maximum page length or format requirements will not be considered or reviewed by the Selection Committee.
Incomplete submissions or any application that has not been submitted within the parameters set forth above, as determined by the Arts Program Coordinator, will not be reviewed or considered.
All questions regarding this RFP are to be directed only to the Art Program Coordinator for the City of South Jordan at the email address listed below. Applications may be disqualified if any unsolicited contact related to this RFP is made with an employee of the City of South Jordan, the South Jordan Arts Council, or any project stakeholders and partners that are not the Arts Program Coordinator. All communication will occur electronically via email.
Contact: Haley Greene, email@example.com