It is the policy of the South Jordan City Council to allow for a wide variety of community organizations, churches and individuals to offer thoughts, readings and invocations at City Council and other public meetings.
The presentation shall be done on a volunteer basis and without cost to the City.
The presentations are intended to be non-denominational and non-proselytizing in character; however, the City will not dictate the form or content of any such presentation.
To carry out the policy, the following procedure shall be followed:
- The South Jordan City Recorder shall allow to be scheduled: presentation of thoughts, readings and invocations for the opening ceremony of the City Council Meetings.
- If the scheduled presenter does not show up at the meeting, the City will allow for a presentation of thoughts, readings, and invocations for the opening ceremony by invitation of the person charged with conducting the meeting.
- City Recorder shall notice the public every six months, via resources available to the City, inviting area churches and civic groups to contact the City to be scheduled to present the thought, reading, or invocation.
- Individuals that do not receive an invitation are also welcome to present by giving the City Recorder a written request to do so.
- The City Recorder shall inform those who are to give the presentation a copy of this resolution and instruct the presenter that it is the City Council’s desire to keep the presentation to less than two minutes.
- The City Recorder shall inquire of the presenter how he/she would like the presentation to be listed on the agenda, for example whether it will be a prayer, reading, or thought.
Please contact Anna West, City Recorder, if you would like to schedule a presentation for the opening ceremony at a City Council Meeting. South Jordan City Council meets the first and third Tuesday of each month. Presentation time shall be less than 2 minutes.
Anna M. West
South Jordan City Recorder