By: Rachael Van Cleave On: July 24, 2020 In: Uncategorized Comments: 0

UPDATE 10:30 P.M. – Evacuation is over. The operation went as well as it could have and residents who were evacuated may return to their homes safely. The evacuation was originally planned to end 10 a.m. tomorrow morning, but after the second detonation late tonight, authorities confirmed it was safe for residents to return to their homes.

We want to thank the many entities that helped us prepare and complete this dangerous operation, including West Valley City, Sandy City, and Unified Fire Authority. With their help we were able to protect the lives and the homes of our residents.

The South Jordan Police Department has issued a voluntary evacuation for the residents and businesses who live and operate within the boundaries of Bangerter Highway to 3200 West between 10200 South and 10400 South. This impacts approximately 168 homes and 34 licensed businesses. The evacuation began at 3 p.m. today and will continue through 10 a.m. Saturday morning.

“This expanded evacuation is out of an abundance of caution to ensure the safety of our residents,” said South Jordan Public Information Officer Rachael Van Cleave.

Evacuation was due to the investigation of potentially explosive materials found in a home. Experts on the site have determined that the safest method of disposal is to detonate on site. The detonation of the explosive materials is planned for tonight. The plan is for two separate detonations, a smaller one in the early evening and a potentially larger one a some time after that.

“We are working with experts and partners on the local, state and federal level. Our City Police Department, staff and others are working tirelessly to ensure the safety of our residents,” said South Jordan Mayor Dawn Ramsey.

Affected residents have been notified via door-to-door contact and a reverse 911 call. South Jordan City will follow up with information on social media channels.

Police served a warrant at 11 p.m. Thursday night after a week-long investigation. The suspect immediately became confrontational and started firing rounds at oncoming officers. He eventually surrendered and was taken into custody.

“Our number one concern is safety, for personnel and for residents of South Jordan,” said Mayor Ramsey. “We’re grateful no harm was done, and the suspect taken into custody without further incident.”

Residents that are unable to evacuate, should shelter in their basements and stay away from windows.